I can’t believe it, in a little over one week I’ll be flying to New York City to attend the social media and blogging conference, BlogHer. I am excited, really I am, but I’m also petrified. This will be a trip of many firsts for me: my first trip to New York City, first time flying on my own, first time traveling without my family but most importantly my first time attending BlogHer (and really any such conference like this).
Like any new venture I tend to hover my fingers over Google and search everything I can find on it. So of course I’ve been doing the same thing, reading blog post after blog post on the topic of BlogHer. It’s been a great way for me to prepare myself but also to occupy my mind so I don’t flip-out the days leading up to my flight.
So for Oh Amanda‘s Top Ten Tuesday post I thought I would share the 10 Posts to Read Before Going to BlogHer.
- BlogHer – A great post on what to wear to BlogHer. Not a checklist but more of a reality check to determine what makes sense for you to wear (and ultimately pack) for BlogHer
- Undomestic Diva – A great overview of what to do to prepare before, during and after BlogHer
- Kim Tracy Prince – Some great tips on what to bring and how to survive the conferences and parties
- Table 4 Five – Another great list that covers things not mentioned elsewhere, especially drinking water.
- MomDot – This post is from last year but it made me laugh and is a great list of what NOT to do at BlogHer this year.
- Aiming Low – I love my iPhone and it will be glued to my hand during BlogHer so this list of NYC apps is great.
- The Culture Mom Blog – As this is my first trip to New York CIty I’m hoping I might get to see some of the city, maybe. This is a great list of things cover if time allows.
- Mom 101 – Based in a question/answer format, this covers some of those ‘not asked but certainly lurking in the back of your head’ type of questions.
- Motherhood in NYC – Another great list of things to see and do in New York City, covering things close to the Hilton Hotel where the conference is located.
- Miss Lori – I love this post too, addressing the whole swag issue and keeping perspective.
From reading these and the lessons my kids have taught me, I feel a little better, a little more confident about my impending trip. Ha, who am I kidding, I’m still freaking out but at least reading some of these blog posts and tweets online I know I won’t be the only BlogHer newbie freaking out.
If you’ve read some really good BlogHer posts leave the link below because I’d love to read them too. And if you’re heading to BlogHer, newbie or not, be sure to say ‘Hi’. I promise I don’t bite and I’ll make every effort not to hide behind the potted palm at the back of the room.