As I’m sure many of you know Mother’s Day is coming up. You know, that special day when our loved ones shower us with love, affection and luxurious gifts. I haven’t experienced this holiday bliss yet, but according to the greeting card and chocolate and flower advertisers, it’s pure heaven.
The discussion of gifts has been on a few blogs I’ve visited, most recently yummymummyclub.ca‘s post Top 5 Mother’s Day Gift Ideas. I think having a list of gift suggestions is great, but what happens if the gifts on the list are out of stock or hard to find – is there a lingerie section at Canadian Tire?
I’d hate to put my family under such undue stress of not being able to find something. So I thought of a different gift list.
Mother’s Day gifts to Avoid Giving
- Kitchen/Cleaning Apparatus – Nothing says enjoy your day off like a new vacuum or electric can opener. I know it may seem like I spend most of my free-time in the kitchen or laundry room but if given the chance I would probably be somewhere else.
- Exersice Equipment – I may not be in the best of shape, but I don’t need to be reminded of the fact (did you read my post on exercise). This includes video and audio tapes, books, treadmills, basically anything that’s going to work up a sweat in an unpleasant way. Of course this doesn’t include the new Wii EA Active Sport. Check out fellow blogger and EA Active Sport Challenger CutieBootyCakes. Who ever thought exercise would be such fun.
- Duct Tape – I know there are shows and books praising the benefits of duct tape to solve everything, but what am I going to do with it? And don’t say fix the hole in the window screen or secure the handle to the soup ladle. Anything that has to be stored on a basement shelf or in a toolbox is a definite no-no.
- Dinner Out – Actually treating me to a night of someone else cooking and cleaning-up after the family meal can be a nice gift. It really depends on where you take me. If the table and chairs are bolted to the floor and the food is served in cardboard boxes, you may want to think again.
- Pet Snake– Yes, snakes look cool when they swallow a mouse whole. Yes, I may have been to the snake exhibit at the local zoo three times this year (though you’ve probably forgotten I was taking the kids). But scaly, slimy, slithery animals that can grow to the length of your living room do not make ideal gifts . This also includes anything in the bug, rodent and monkey category.
This is in no way a complete list. Feel free to add anything else you think family should steer away from for Mother’s Day gifts this year. I may not get a trip to the spa or ten minutes of peace and quiet so I can shower, but if my family follows this list at least I won’t be crying this Mother’s Day.
Oh and if you wouldn’t mind forwarding this post on to my husband I would be eternally grateful.