It’s been a week since I first outlined my Next Steps for working on my writing. So let’s see, how did I do with last weeks tasks:
- Renew my library card – Done. I reserved a few writing books too (Hopefully I can pick them up this week)
- Finalize magazine stories – I’ve revised one story, ready to send out. The second story, after reviewing it, I’m not sure if it works still and I’m not sure if I can make it work.
- Revise my picture book manuscript – Done, now I need to run it by a second pair of eyes for feedback.
- Research the difference between Easy Reader/Chapter Book and Middle Grade Book – I’ve been reading and thinking about my story idea and I think I’ve settled on the EA/CB route.
So I’m feeling pretty good having completed the tasks I set-out for my first week. I’ll also admit they weren’t the hardest. Now we’re starting a new week and with that a new set of Next Steps:
- Submit my magazine story - Write a cover letter and submit the story to the children’s magazine for consideration.
- Write an outline for my Chapter Book idea – I have a synopsis and now that I’ve decided to go the Chapter Book route, I want to develop an outline for each chapter.
- Reading research – I need to take out and read a whole collection of Chapter Books
- Picture book manuscript feedback – I’ve revised my picture book manuscript which needs a new set of eyes on it. I should also investigate critique groups too (I’m a member of SCBWI but have never really taken advantage of my membership).
So another week and another set of tasks. I’m always good at starting something, let’s see how good I am at continuing it.